Thursday, June 4, 2009

Speaking of Fashion


I start my day by crossing the Pont Alexandre III to the right bank. This is the most beautiful bridge in Paris. Built at the end of the 19th century for the Universal Exposition of 1900 it is decorated with lampposts and sculptures of cherubs and nymphs, while large gilded statues guard each end. The bridge, was built to symbolize the friendship Russia and France, and was therefore named for Tsar Alexander III.

Once on the right bank I stroll along Avenue Montaigne. The Avenue is lined with tall shade trees, and very expensive designer shops... shops? Is that the right word? You can hardly call these shops, but you know what I mean. These fashion houses are guarded by intimidating doormen in impeccable black suits. Heaven forbid the “wrong” person crosses the portals of these havens of wealth…and attitude.

I notice that Dolce Gabbana and Jimmy Choo are both featuring leopard prints… is this going to be the hot look for fall?

Does your toddler need something chic for school? Of course they must have an outfit from Dior.

Need something casual? Well there are designer jeans that I’ll bet you need Sharapova’s bank account to afford.

1:00 PM

The tournament is giving white roses to all the ladies entering Roland Garros today in honor of the women’s semi final. Very nice. I have to find something to put it in so it will stay alive.

2:00 PM

Here we go, Safina and Cibulkova, I’m thinking Safina is going to win in two.

3:30 PM

Well, I was right on that one.. now lets see if we are going to have an all Russian women’s final... I’m thinking that Kuznetsova is stronger than Stosur... but then I did get a look at Stosur’s bicep, and I wouldn’t want to arm wrestle her.

6:00PM

With Kuznetsova up 1 set, Stosur took the second set in a beaker... they’re going three... c’mon girls, I still have to do the mixed doubles final and I want to get out of here at a decent hour and go to the press dinner tonight.

6:45 PM

Two matches down and one to go. Kuznetsova won it 6-3 in the third .. Couldn’t she have done this it two sets? So it will be Kuznetsova and Safina in the final.. Couldn’t we ever have someone like the Chinese player Li Na? I’m getting tired of typing long Russian names.. Well, Safina isn’t too bad .. But some of the others are not only a pain to type, they are totally unpronounceable.

8:55PM

Well, I’m a little angry with Bob Bryan and Leizel Huber for taking their final to a tiebreak, but they closed out King and Melo and are the 2009 French Open mixed champions.

The dinner starts in 5 minutes, and I still have a ton of work to finish so this is it for the blog for tonight.

No comments: