Friday, June 5, 2009

The Press Party

Last night was the greatly anticipated annual press party. After eleven days of working twelve hour days everyone is ready for a little recreation. This years theme was wine tasting, very appropriate considering where we are. Someone said there were forty vintners pouring wine, but I’ve not been able to confirm that number, let’s just say there were a lot .. And there were those in attendance who made serious attempts to try all of them.

A live band played old jazz classics, and later added some danceable beats.
There were delicious small plates of a variety of French dishes. My favorite was the lobster soufflĂ©. I tried to get a photo, but there were always so many people crowded around that table you could barely get near it, and I haven’t yet mastered the act of balancing, food, drink and camera while standing in high spike heels…yes, I did dress up for this party ..Without making a disaster of one of the three. Suffice it to say, a good time was had by all.

12:00 PM
Bonjour, Buongiorno, Buenos Dias, Good Morning! This is what I hear when I arrive at the press center each morning. The internationality of the tennis tour is, for me, one of its most appealing aspects. People from around the world traveling, working, socializing and getting to know one another enriches your life in many ways.

To my left, I have a very humorous Italian writer, to my right a Chinese girl photographer who lives in Melbourne Australia. She’s become a new friend, and we will keep in touch and see each other when I go to Melbourne next year. Next to her, a reporter from Brazil. I’m currently working out of the international writer’s room. People from all nations labor, trade gossip, and argue about tennis. We’re a band of vagabonds, who love to travel and experience the world.

1:00 PM
First up, Soderling and Gonzalez. This could be interesting. Soderling is on a roll, but Gonzo has the big forehand and loves to play in the dirt. Soderling’s best results have been indoors on either hard court or carpet.

Celebs in attendance, the still handsome Bjorn Borg, and Desperate Housewife Eva Longoria with husband, NBA star, Tony Parker.

4:45 PM
Soderling wins .. drops to his knees, stands, grins at Borg, and goes to the net for the handshake.

Three and a half hours .. That’s what it took for the Swede to defeat Gonzo and get into his first grand slam final. Next up Federer and Del Potro..


8:15 PM
OH MY WORD… this is getting painful. 8:15 and its 4-3 Federer in the fifth. Two marathon matches in one day. How many times and how many ways can you shoot forehands, backhands, serves .. And very occasionally, volleys. It’s getting dark, and I’ve given up the camera for my laptop.

Reporters in the press room are moaning groaning and cheering with each point. I’m not sure if it is for great tennis or if they just want this over.

8:34PM
Okay, Federer is serving for the match at 5-4. YES it’s over ..Three hours and 29 minutes .. Roger is through to the final!

Everyone is typing madly, shouts of .. Three twenty eight or three twenty nine Anybody know..ring out. I’m going with three twenty nine .. That’s what it said on the scoreboard, and I’m assuming its right.

9:10 PM I need to get this up and make the 10PM shuttle, so I'll sign off for today.

No comments: