Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Musee Rodin

1:30 PM

I have had the best morning ever! Since matches don’t start on Phiippe Chatrier until 2PM today, I decided to go to one of my favorite museums in the world. The Musee Rodin is just one block from my apartment, and I’ve been waiting for a free morning to visit ever since I arrived in Paris. This is on my “must do” list each time I am here.

Housed in the magnificent mansion known as the Biron Hotel, The mansion was built in the early seventeenth century by a hairdresser named Abraham Peyrenc. At this time the Left Bank of Paris was still unpopulated. The very successful and rich hairdresser decided that he wanted to build the most beautiful house ever seen in Paris.

After the death of Peyrenc, the house eventually became the property of Duke and Duchess of Biron and it still bears their name.

In 1905 plans were made to demolish the house to build rental apartments, but in the meantime it was divided into several small apartments. Attracted by the beautiful gardens, several artists, including Henri Matisse, and August Rodin rented rooms where they worked and entertained friends.

Rodin proposed to the French Government the idea of converting the house a museum of his work. To accomplish this, he donated all of his pieces of art, correspondence and property to the state. The museum opened in 1919.

The sculptures, the mansion, the gardens... beauty so astounding it stops your heart. I want to breath in the in the atmosphere, keep in a place inside me. I want to be able to draw on it when I need to renew my creative energy.


I wander through the rooms, gazing the work of Rodin, I wonder at his ability to make the bronze, marble, plaster, come to life.

The gardens are among, most beautiful I have seen magnificent sculptures among the roses. Perhaps his most famous work the “Thinker” holds a special place. I love this photo of the grounds with the gilded dome of Les Invalides in the background. I could stay there all day, but work calls, so I leave refreshed, and head for the 10 train.

2:00 PM

Recap from yesterday. Roddick lost in three to Monfils, down two sets to love Roger pulled out a five set win over Tommy Haas .. Haas was serving at 4 all in the third, up 40-15 and eventually lost that set.. then lost all his momentum for the rest of the match.. I guess that is what separates the top guys from everyone else. Robredo defeated Kohlschreiber in four, and Del Potro took out French favorite, Tsonga in four. On the women’s side, Stosur, Serena, and Kuznetsova all made it into the quarters.

2:15 PM

Heading over to court 1 for Lopez/ Robredo against the Bryans .. This should be a good match, and I love to shoot on court 1. This used to be the second show court before Suzanne Lenglen was built. The stadium is round and affords great views from every angle.


3:45PM

Uh Oh .. the Bryan's have split with the Spanish team. I'd love to stay, but I need to get back to my apartment, and get ready for the Champions dinner at 7:30 PM. so I'm going to have to hope for the best and close this blog for today.

No comments: