Saturday, June 7, 2008

Womens Final

I can’t believe we are already on day thirteen, the women’s final. Where has the time gone? The match doesn’t start until 3PM, but I have a lot of editing to catch up on so I’m heading straight to the site today.

The weather is dark, and cold with heavy clouds that look as though they are ready to burst at any moment. I’m saying a little prayer to just get this one match finished without rain delays.

The early part of the afternoon is spent working on photos that I haven’t had time to edit yet. People don’t realize how much post production there is after the shooting is finished. I long for the days when we handed our film into the lab at the end of the day and went out for drinks and dinner.

A glance at my watch tells me its 2:40. Time to get ready to go to the court. I want to start shooting from the pit, and then move to my seat for the second set. I’m going to have to get organized because the pit is popular and it will fill up soon. Okay, I made down a flight of stairs and a long hall way, with all my gear, and have secured the last spot in the pit. I’m glad I made this decision because it looks like it’s going to rain any minute.

Ivanovic and Safina enter the court carrying large bouquets of white flowers. This is tradition at all the slams, but frankly I don’t get it. They never know what to do with the flowers, and usually just put them on the chair next to them where they are forgotten and left to wilt.

Ivanovic wins the first set pretty quickly, and I move to my assigned seat. Seating is open until the semi-finals but from then until the end of the event, seats are assigned. There are never enough seats to go around, but spots in the pit and on the roof are open, so a lot of photographers shoot from these locations. A limited number of people can also shoot from the writer’s balcony, but you have to be careful not to bother or stand in anyone’s way because the writers really don’t want us up there. The other problem with shooting from there is everyone stands up on match point and blocks your view. You see, our job is much more complicated than you think.

I find my seat, and of course a large guy who doesn’t speak English is using it. I convince him that he has to move and proceed to try to get a few snaps. It’s dark and the photos are not going to be great, but I’m doing the best I can under the circumstances.

Both players look a little nervy, but Ana has been to two grand slam finals and although she lost, I think the experience will pull her through. Safina has never been to a slam final, so I have high hopes of this being done in two sets.

I notice the Russian being very picky about which ball she is serving with, sometimes examining the ball that is given her, then sending it back to the ball kid and asking for another. Is this some Russian superstition? I know players do get the idea that certain balls are lucky, but I think it’s going to take more that a lucky ball to lead Safina to victory today.

The Serbian Beauty has match point... YES... she makes it...but Darn!! She has her back to me. I’m sitting right next to the TV camera which should be a good spot, but she celebrates facing her box rather than the TV. Players need to be trained to face the camera if they want to have good match point celebration photos.

Well, match point is done, so there is not use in crying about it, time for the trophy photos, another nerve wracking shoot, with a hundred photographers all jostling for a shot, calling out Ana! Ana! Trying to get her attention. I get lucky when she looks directly my way, I press the shutter and that’s it. Done with the women’s final.

Back at my desk, I download my images, give them a quick edit and caption, post them to my website, and YES!! I’m outta here.

I’m meeting some of my Parisian friends at one of my favorite places, Café Marle at the Louvre.

The restaurant overlooks the main courtyard of the museum featuring the fabulous glass pyramid designed by the Chinese American architect I M Pei. I love the contemporary idea of the steel and glass and the ancient aspect of the pyramid juxtaposed against this former renaissance palace that is now the Louvre museum.

We linger over coffee until 1AM then I walk back over the Pont des Artes, which is still humming with people, and back to my Place at the Top.



No comments: