Monday, June 2, 2008

Sleeveles Shirts

I’m loving the trend of sleeveless shirts on the guys! Everyone talks about Nadal,s arms, but check out Monfils, chocolate eye candy at it’s sweetest.

The Ginepri express came to a screeching halt today on Court Suzanne Lenglen. Robby will be on the airport limo along with the Bryan Brothers.

Considering the fact that Gonzalez clay court record for this year is 16-0 and Robby’s is 5-4 three of which were won here at Roland Garros, it’s disappointing but not surprising that the Chilean won in straight sets.

Robby, playing without his lucky bandage, looked good in the first set, hanging in with Gonzo on looooooong points. I held my breath on one 17 stroke exchange at 4 all, but Ginepri ended up netting a volley off a Gonzalez passing shot. Maybe he needs to wear that white tape more often.

Ginepri expressed disappointment in his post match press conference, but went on to say, “it was a great last week and great tournament." Yes, it was a great week for him, and hopefully he can keep his game going at have a good result at Wimbledon.

The Bryan’s loss was a different story. It was raining so hard I had to leave for fear of damaging my camera. The balls were soaked with water and mud. Water flew off them every time they were hit. Play on all the other courts had been halted. I have no idea why they kept playing this match.

Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay, teamed with Luis Horna of Peru to beat

I watched the end of the match on TV and saw that the Bryans declined to shake hands with their opponent’s, Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay, and Luis Horna of Peru.

The twins grew up in Southern California and I’ve known them since they were kids. They are two of the best mannered, most respectful, nice guys you ever want to meet, so this was really surprising to me. Later in press, they explained that they felt the team of Horna and Cuevas was out of line and disrespectful when Cuevas jumped the net landing close to the Bryans, when they were changing sides with the Latin Americans leading 5-1 in the tiebreaker.

"He was really disrespectful," Mike said. "He jumped the net right in our face. It's classless.” Bob added, "I thought he was rubbing it in our face a little bit”.

We are now in our THIRD rain delay. I have enough rain photos to last a lifetime.

The sun has peeked out, and The Screamer is

back on court. against Dinar Safina.

I don’t have my ear plugs with me, so I guess I’ll have to suffer possible ear damage, but this match promises to have good photos, so I’ll take the chance.

Safina, like her older brother, Marat Safin, has no problem showing her emotional make up. Same blood, same drama. The 6-7 (6-8), 7-6 (7-5), 6-2 match was not disappointing.

With Sharapova up 5-2 in the second, and then again holding a 5-2 lead in the tiebreak Safina, in turn angry, joyous, bouncing her racquet in disgust, pumping her fist in joy, managed to pull out that set, the went on to defeat Maria 6-2 in the third.







On to Monfils. I love to shoot him. Always good stuff going on, good photos, great atmosphere. There is a controversy when the umpire gives a code violation for coaching, The popular Parisian argues but the coaching stops, and Monfils defeats Ljubicic in three without any help from the stands.

I’ve had enough. I want to get back to St. Germain, talk a walk, dinner, enjoy my evening.

No comments: