Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Champions Dinner

The Champions dinner is tonight, but first I want to say:

Happy Birthday Rafa!

Rafael Nadal must have been in a hurry to get to his 22nd birthday celebration today. He barely broke a sweat during his 6-1, 6-1, 6-1, forty four minute match against fellow countryman Nicolas Almagro. Roger is hoping that this will be the year that he will be holding the French trophy over his head, but he definitely has his work cut out for him. Rafa is looking VERY tough.

On the women’s side, Ana Ivanovic, strolled to the semi final with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Patty Schnyder. Ana’s coral dress, the orange clay, and red geraniums made a picture worthy of colors in a French Impressionist painting.

I have to leave the site early, so I can get dressed for the ITF Champions Dinner. This is an annual event set in the elegant surroundings of the Pavilion d’Armenoville. The dinner commemorates a year of spectacular tennis, and honors players who will are named World Champions. This includes men’s and women’s singles and doubles, junior boys and girl’s singles and doubles champions, and means and women’s wheelchair champions.

This black tie gala is a great opportunity to dress up, and have a beautiful dinner. The room, with windows overlooking the beautiful gardens of the Bois de Boulogne is done in French Regency décor. Gold chairs upholstered in Champagne colored brocade, round tables for eight are covered with dark green table cloths accented by wide gold ribbons. Glowing candles highlight the artful flower arrangements.

Guests include former tennis players, sponsors, Grand Slam representatives,National and Regional Association dignitaries, officials, coaches, and the media. I have a hard time recognizing players when they are not in tennis gear and have to follow other photographers around asking who everyone is. I decide to have a glass of Champagne and stop worrying about identifying the guests.

As always, at any event planned by Barbara Travers of the ITF, the food and wine are perfect. I’m having a little problem figuring out what to do with my bread. I just can’t get used to not having bread plates. So here I am in at this elegant dinner, wearing my favorite dressy pink silk dress, trying to figure out what to do with the roll that I just took from the basket proffered by the waiter. I notice that the French just put their bread on the table, but I don’t like this idea, so I pulling off small bites and eating it seems like the best solution. I will remember not to take any more rolls.

My first course arrives, beautifully arranged cold vegetables with a small glass vial of oil and vinegar. As stated in a previous blog, everything here is art.

The awards are presented after the first course. Roger Federer, looking very GQ is honored for the fourth consecutive year, and the Bryan Bros. for a record fifth year. Justine Henin is the woman's champion, but cannot be at the dinner. .

Photos done, we now settle down to finish our meal. The main course is Bresse Chicken with Morels and Arbois Jus, but I opt for the vegetarian, which turns out to be 3 different vegetable pates’s wrapped in thin pasta served with greens. Beautiful and delicious.

A choice of wines if offered and glassed refilled by white coated servers. I could get used to this. Desert is apricot Tart Tartin. I try to use the large spoon that the French use for this course, but I’m having a hard time with this and switch to a fork before I really make a fool of myself and drop food in my lap. Coffee, and chocolate follow, then the official cars provide transportation back to hotels. A perfect evening.

No comments: