Thursday, June 5, 2008

Retail Therapy

Matches don’t start until 2PM today, so I decide I need and deserve a little retail therapy.

The narrow, winding streets in my quarter are filled with small intriguing shops that hold great possibilities for browsing. Two doors down from my apartment is a wonderful shop specializing in olives and olive oil. If you're an olive affectionado, this is heaven. Green, purple, black, red, large, small, tiny, all cured in different ways, with different herbs. Did you know that all olives are the same? That the difference in color and size is merely the difference of the age at which the olives are picked?

The shop also has a large selection of beautiful olive oils, some of which are treated like fine vintage wines. These olive trees are often grown by wine producers, and are priced like fine wine as well. I buy a small selection of olives, which I will share with friends when they visit my Place at the top.

I’m a book lover so my next stop is Metiers Arts Appliques, a tiny bookstore specializing in art books. I’m only going to browse here because I don’t want to be carrying books home. A few doors down the street there is tiny used book store, carrying old, beautifully hand bound volumes. I almost buy a book of French poetry just because I love the red leather cover, the old binding, the gold leaf titles, but I come to my senses in time and give it a pass.

The Herboristerie is a shop I've been meaning to check out. It’s filled with herbs, and vials of exotic oils for medicinal use and aromatherapy. I buy a small satin pillow filled with French, lavender, it’s supposed to help you sleep well, and even if you can’t sleep at least you are laying awake smelling something nice.

I’d love to find something great to wear to the press dinner tonight, how about this dress with the heart shaped skirt? No, I don’t think so; however you could be sure that no one else would show up in the same outfit.

I check out a dress that I’ve been eyeing in the window of another small boutique, but they don’t have my size so my credit card is saved once more.

I’ve had a nice morning, but now it’s time to go shoot the women’s semi final. Hopefully they will both be two short sets, but at least they are best of three rather than five.

First up, Safina and Kuznetsova. Safina is looking very strong, and keeping her temper under control. I heard that her brother, Marat has been sending her text messages with advice and support, so maybe he advised her not to be as mad as he has often been, and blow the match. She wins in two mercifully short sets.

Next up is the battle of the Serbs, Ivanovic and Jankovic. I’m a little annoyed at Ana for blowing the second set, losing 7 straight games in a row, but she prevailed taking out Jankovic and will meed Safina on Saturday.

After defeating Jankovic, the Serbian beauty came into press all smiles dressed in a cute, sexy little tank top and white addidas pants.

This win makes Ana the new number one, and it looks like she is also taking over the glamor girl title, so the screamer is out and Ana is in.

No comments: