Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Final Day

The Final Day

Oh my word, so much to do today. I wake at a decent hour, I want to take a last walk along the river, and stop for Café Au Lait, at Café Flore. I always have to stop here at least once on each trip. This one of the most famous café’s in Paris, and is somewhat an historical landmark. This café
was a favorite of many great 19th century writers and artists. Pablo Picasso was known to take his coffee here as well as French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre.

I predicted that Rafa would win in three sets, but I never thought it would be 6-1, 6-3, 6-0. In one hour and 45 minutes. It was Federer's worst loss in his 173 Grand Slam matches, and the shortest Roland Garros men's final in terms of games since 1977.

Rafa was unbelievable; he is truly the King of Clay. He has never lost a match here, and went through this two week without loosing a set. Roger was never in the match. Everything he tried was answered with a loud AHHHHHUHHHH … take that!! Rafa was hitting the ball so hard it was flattening out on his strings.

At the end of the match Nadal reeled off nine consecutive games. He became the only man since Borg to win four consecutive years, and to win the tournament without dropping a set.

When the players changed ends a 5-0 all the photographers around me started changing lenses, and getting ready for match point. I said to the guy next to me, “I’m sure there won’t be a good match point. Rafa will not celebrate a total drubbing like this.”

My feeling was that he had too much respect for Roger to further rub in the win. He confirmed this later in press when someone asks him about his lack of celebration after winning so easily. He actually was apologetic at the trophy ceremony commenting, “Roger I’m sorry for the final”.

A grey haired, but still handsome, Bjorn Borg presented the trophy to the new French Open King. This was the perfect presenter since French Open history was made here today.

So that’s it, the end of the 2008 French Open. I know you’ve seen a lot of photos of Nadal holding the trophy, so I’ll offer this one. SO Spanish, don’t you agree?

No comments: