Saturday, July 4, 2009

The Fourth of July



10: AM

This is the day American’s celebrate their independence from Britain, and it always seems ironic to me that I’m at Wimbledon for this great American holiday. I miss the block parties, beach picnic’s, fireworks, and hanging out with friends. However, I’m not going to let the fact that I’m in London keep me from noting the day. There are a lot of expat’s here so I’m researching my options for good times this evening.


Dress for the day... dark blue jeans, white shirt and red trainers... forgot my American flag bandana, but I’m doing my best to make s statement!


Meanwhile, it’s going to be a big USA day at The Championships. The sisters will be celebrating their Independence Day competing in the women’s singles final, Followed by the Bryan’s in the Men’s Doubles, followed by the Williams’s in the women’s doubles. GO STARS AND STRIPES!!


Shall I risk putting up my pick for the Sister Act? Serena has a 2/1 edge on Venus, having defeated her in 2002, and 2003. Venus got her revenge last year, and I’m betting that she’ll even the score today. Okay, I’ve put my opinion on the line so we’ll see what happens.


The Bryans will be playing a very tough team, Nestor and Zimonjic. This is the team that took out Blake and Fish 10 - 8 in the fifth. The sisters will face third seeded Stosur and Stubbs, a very solid team, but I’m going to go for the gold... an all American champions day! That will be something to celebrate.


And how will their equally famous father spend his fourth? He’s said that he can’t bear to watch the girls play each other, so he is heading back to Florida where he will find out who the winner is, not by TV, the internet, or a call from the sisters but by a sign that his neighbors post on their house reading either “Congratulations Venus”, or “Congratulations Serena”.


1:05 PM

Uh oh, it’s drizzling a little. They are making an announcement right now that this band of rain is expected to pass so no plans for closing the roof right now.


4:11 PM

Okay so I was wrong... it won’t be the first time. Serena was just too tough. Those girls are so opposite sometimes it’s hard to believe they are sisters. Venus, tall and regal reminds me of an Egyptian princess, I can envision her floating down the Nile on a barge wearing a jeweled headdress. On the other hand, Serena is like a boxer, strong, tough, and muscular. I can see her in the ring, pounding her opponent senseless.


5:18 PM

Bad news... the Bryan’s have lost the first set. I’m going to go out and do a few snaps.


7:09 PM

Well Zimonjic and Nestor have just taking the fireworks out of the Bryan’s fourth. The defending champions are going home with the gold trophies once more.

One more to go... Let’s see if the William’s can add the double’s trophies to their 2009 collection.


9:13 PM

That's it .. a big day for the Williams, looks like they will be taking home all of the women's trophys.

No comments: