Friday, July 3, 2009

Andy vs Andy

Wow, it’s several hours after the match and I’m still amazed. Roddick was at his best today, firing off bullet like aces, running, diving, and never giving up. This will be Roddick’s third trip to the final, proving perhaps that in this instance experience counts more than youth. If you look at the last eight men who were in the quarters, Hewitt, Roddick, Murray, Ferraro Haas, Djokovic, Karlovic, and Federer, Murray and Djokovic are the only youngsters. Both Haas and Karlovic, are over thirty, and the rest are in their late twenties.

From the first match that I saw Arod play here, I quietly thought to myself, “I think he can win it this time”. He’s had a couple of dicey years, but he just has that look of a champion about him again. Totally focused. Mature. He said he’s been working hard and it shows. He’s trimmed 15 pounds off his weight, and new coach Larry Stefanki has been drilling him, and working hard on returns and volleys and backhand. He looks like a much more complete player. No more a man who depended solely on blasting his opponents off the court with his serve.

I’m usually not so much into stats, but I think these are interesting, Murray, actually hit more aces twenty five to twenty one. He also hit more winners, seventy six to sixty four, and had fewer unforced errors, twenty to twenty four, but bottom line Roddick won far more points at the net, forty eight to fifteen, and kept his first serve percentage a lot higher, seventy five to fifty two. Remember when I said that this was going to be a battle of serves? Roddick also kept his serves consistently over 130 mph, at one point hitting 143, the hardest that was his here so far.


The score seems close, 6-4 4-6 7-6 (9/7) 7-6 (7/5), but the truth is, from my seat in the photo pit, Andy R seemed in control of the match. He gave me one little worry, when he was serving for the third set at 5-2, dropped his serve and let the Scot level the set to

five all before closing it out, in a breaker, but throughout the whole match, I was sure that he was going to win. Maybe it was his calm. Even when it looked like the British number one was making a comeback, Arod, kept his cool and stuck to a game plan.


The Brits wanted this win badly, but it wasn't Murray's day, and now at least they have a player that is a contender. There is no doubt that Andy M will stay on top for a number of years, and take home a few titles of his own, but for now they will have to wait until 2010 for another chance at breaking their record dry spell of men's champions.


As for the final. I can hardly wait. Roger kept Andy from holding the gold cup in 2004, with a 4-6, 7-5, 7-6, 6-4 win, and in 2005, defeating Roddick 6-2, 7-6, 6-4. A much more mature Andy Roddick will be going for a first Wimbledon title, and the Swiss will be going for history, hoping to surpass Pete Sampras Grand Slam title record.

Quotes from Roddick:

“I’m just going to pretend that when they cheer for “Andy” that they are cheering for me.”

“I've developed a little bit of rapport with the fans. Maybe you guys helping me by asking me a bunch of goofy questions and me giving a bunch of goofy answersOver the last couple of years I didn't think I'd have the chance to

Talking about his conversation with his wife after he lost here last year. “ She didn’t really know much about tennis, so she thought I was playing real great”

“ She thought I looked cute in the shorts.”

Question; Can you describe to us how much you want this title, how much it means to you?

Andy Roddick;, Smiling. “No, I probably couldn’t “

Well, I’m willing to bet it means a whole lot.

Photo of the Day.

No comments: