Thursday, July 2, 2009

Drama is Spelled S-E-R-E-N-A

1:00 PM

Grunting, Shouting, Crying, Praying … and finally Smiles. Yes, that is the drama of Serena Williams in the Semi-Final today. Most of the time I had the impression that she was very angry at something... I wasn’t sure if the anger was directed at Dementieva , or the ball she was trying to hit the cover off of , or just general bad humor.

The day was hot and humid, and Williams fired up Center Court in the longest women’s semi-final in Wimbledon history. The American number two seed, played an error ridden first set, but came back, and saved a match point to win the second set. The third was another epic, ending with Serena winning 8-6.

One thing I have to say is Serena always provides us with multiple photo opportunities and entertainment. It was two hours and 48 minutes of passion, emotion and theatrics, between the American and the Russian Dimentieva. It was also the longest women’s semi-final in Wimbledon history.

Venus match against Russian Dinera Safina was the polar opposite. The defending champion took out Safina in fifty two minutes posting a score of 6-1, 6-0. I don’t know if that is the shortest semi-finals in Wimbledon history, but it certainly would be a contender.

This sets up an exciting Fourth of July final between the sisters. They have already played each other in three finals, and one or the other of them has been in the final here seven of the last eight years.

Venus is going for her sixth title and her third Wimbledon in a row. She hasn’t lost a set in this Championship. Serena has won here twice, and is looking for revenge for Venus beating her in last year’s final.

6:20 PM

I’m editing my semi-final photos, and thinking that I should start my blog, when I notice that James Blake and Marty Fish have won the first set in their men’s doubles semi-final, against the second seeds, Daniel Nestor and Nenad Zimonic. This would be a huge win for the unseeded Americans and would set up an all American final against the Bryan’s.

Tired and hot as I am, I still feel like I need to go shoot some of this match and give our guys some support. I’m the only photographer out there and it’s kind of nice to have the whole platform to myself. Blake and Fish are playing great! Who knew what a good doubles team they were.. Maybe their Davis Cup teammates, the Bryan Bros. have been coaching them. They win the second set, and I’m thinking about staying for the third, but it’s already 7:00, and I still have to edit my semi-finals and the Press dinner starts at 8:00.

8:20PM

OH MY WORD .. The doubles is still on .. They are just starting the fifth.

8:30PM

The Press Dinner. A much anticipated event every year. People get a chance to take a break, mingle and gossip with colleagues and the food and wine is always nice.

11:22 PM

Yep, I’m still here. Blake and Fish lost 10 – 8 in the fifth. I’m sort of sorry that I missed that match, but the dinner was very nice and very welcome.

That’s it for today. Tomorrow is going to be a big day with the two Andy’s playing in the semi-final.

No comments: