Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Final Day

11:30 AM

We’re finally down to the last day. Entering the gate, I see a group of fans from my home town, Los Angeles, and all of them have their faces painted in support of Andy Roddick. Fantastic! This could be the biggest match of his career.

His record against Roger Federer is less than impressive, he’s lost to the Swiss master 18 out of 20 meetings, but he’s shown a new maturity and confidence in this fortnight, and if he plays as well today as he did in the semi-final I think he has a shot at the title. His match against Andy Murray showed that not only can he rocket un-returnable serves, and blast forehands, he’s added, smarts and an excellent touch volley to his repertoire.

Perhaps most impressive to me, was his poise, concentration, and focus. Not once during the semi-final did he get down on himself, or get too excited. He played in the “No Drama Obama” zone. Steadily going after his goal. Not looking forward or backward. Staying focused on what was happening at the moment.

I can honestly say that I’m looking forward to this match more than any other for a long time. No matter what the outcome, I think it will be a great final. I feel the excitement in the air, and although I know the media is supposed to be neutral, I think I can say in this blog, that my hopes are with Andy. I can envision that great grin that will come with this win. So my best to you today Arod!

7:00 PM

WOW!! Andy lost the match but for sure gained respect and fans today. What a final. This was the best Wimbledon final I’ve been to and I’m sure one that will go down in history, not only for Roger breaking Pete’s record, but for sheer quality of play and players. No shouting or grunting. Both Roger and Andy played with respect for each other, the game and the occasion Bravo to both of you! You’ve shown the tennis world what great sportsmanship and tennis really means. In this respect they are both champions in my opinion.

The day was perfectly beautiful. Warm sunshine and fluffy white cotton clouds in a bright blue sky.

I started my day shooting from the top of the stadium I love the view from up there, you really see the whole saga unfold before you. There are great photo opportunities of players serving, diving, coming to the net, and of course wonderful wide angle’s showing the whole stadium.

Andy is serving at 5 all in the first and twice challenges a call that was called in and was out on the challenge. Good thing we have Hawkeye. That bad call could have changed the first set as Roger would have gone up 6-5 if the call had not been challenged and changed.

After the first set, I trade places with a friend who has a seat on the east side of the court. This side is preferred by a lot of photographer’s because you have an unobstructed view of the whole court, and can shoot both ends. However, often this is easier said than done, because everyone is shooting with long lenses, you really have little choice but to go the same way your neighbor is shooting.

Finally I move to a seat on the west side. A lot of people never shoot from this side, but they are missing some good shots. I like to get close ups of the players in their chairs and changing ends. Its also the only place you can get a shot of the players shaking hands at the end of the match.

As you see, I like to move around, shoot from different angles. Try for different shots.

I check out the Royal Box and see Pete Sampras and his wife sitting with Manuel Santana, Rod Laver and Bjorn Borg. Talk about the royalty of tennis! Four legends, four of the greatest players in history sitting in the front row!

The match is amazing. There are times when I want to just watch and not shoot photos. At 10 all I comment to the photographer next to me that neither player even looked tired. These guys are incredible. Andy is serving to stay alive on every other game. He does this ten times until Roger finally breaks him with Andy serving at 14-15. I’ve never been so impressed with his play.

Meanwhile, the photographers were going crazy, wondering at which end match point would be, and what equipment to use. With Andy serving at 14-15, I look across at the opposite photo pit and see everyone’s camera pointed at Roger, hoping for the shot of the day if he wins.

Now I know that I’ve talked a lot about Roddick, so I need to even the score and give Roger some space too. No question he played a great match. He basically just stayed the course. Nothing fancy, nothing spectacular… frankly, there really weren’t any spectacular photos, but 14 grand slam title holder, just kept playing the game he plays so well. He toughed out the most games ever seen at a Wimbledon final, 77, and the longest fifth set in Wimbledon history. In the end it became a test of nerves, belief and patience. Something the Swiss tennis genus is very good at.

I think this photo of Roger triumphant, and Andy head down in his chair tells the story. Glory and Grief, Joy and Misery.

So, the last strawberry with cream has been eaten, and the 2009 Championships have come to an end. Roger Federer has set a new record for someone to chase, and tennis history, once again has been made on the grass courts at SW19.

No comments: