Friday, April 3, 2009

10:00AM

The tournament runs complimentary shuttles to the site for the media from all of the official hotels. Each driver has his musical preference, one likes, jazz, another oldies, this morning we had the hip hop driver, so I’ve got the beat, I’m fired up and ready to go!!


12:00 PM

I love the tropical atmosphere here. Tall stately Palm trees line the entrance,

turquoise and yellow umbrellas give shade to diners at the food court. Latina women in skin tight shocking pink Capri pants teeter on five inch platform shoes, while dark eyed men observe appreciatively. Strains of Bossa Nova guitar and congo drums playing on the Sony stage send Latin rhythms over the park. It’s like a separate little island, different than any other place in the US.


Most people think of the Cuban population in Miami as beginning in 1959 when the first refugees fleeing the Castro regime arrived in South Florida, but because of the proximity of the state to Cuba, there has been a long history of relations and trade.


However it was after the revolution in 1958 when Fidel Castro took control of the island country, that the real exodus of Cuban’s to Miami began.

Approximately 1.1 million Cubans now live in Miami. They’ve brought their culture, music and food.


Miami has a Latin flavor that is unmistakable. One of my favorite restaurants is in Little Havana. Heaven only knows why, but the name of it is “Versailles”. It’s a busy noisy place with family’s celebrating everything from birthday’s to weddings. People come in jeans or wedding dresses. The food is great and the atmosphere and people watching are outstanding. Now that I’m thinking about it... I’m going to get out of here early and go there tonight.


3:00PM

Well, I’ve never seen Roger slam a racquet on the court and totally destroy it. With Djokovic up 3-0 in the third, the normally cool and calm Swiss lost it. I was so surprised that I missed the shot, but got this one when he went to the bench.

Later in the press conference, when reporter ask him, “What was different about today that you just lost it there for that moment? “ to which Federer replied, “ I didn’t lose it. I was just frustrated. Just because I smashed the racquet doesn’t mean I lose it."Oh really? That’s not the way it looked from where I was sitting.

7:00 PM

The much anticipataed match between Del Potro and Murray is about to begin. The British press is out in full force, and the Argentine fans are packing the stadium. Seasoned reporters are betting on Murray. Should be interesting.


No comments: