Monday, March 30, 2009

Sunday, March 29, 2009

1:30 PM
I’m sitting here looking at my TV monitor and wondering why the match scores aren’t changing and I realize that we must be in a rain delay. It’s just spitting a few drops, but they have stopped play on all courts.
2:52 PM
Looks like they are starting play, I’d like to shoot some of the Robredo, Dent match, but it’s all the way out on the Grandstand court, and I don’t want to get stuck out there if it does start to rain hard. It’s a good 10 minute walk back to the media center, and there is no shelter out there. I remember huddling under the stands trying to get some relief from the rain in past years, and this is a girl who tries to learn from past experiences so I’m going to pass on that match for now. Dent won the first set and is up 2-1 in the second, so this would be a great win for him, but I’m not going to risk it.2:00 PMOh My Word, Safina and Ivanovic have just lost …Safina to Samantha Stosur, and Ivanovic to Agnes Szavay. Jankovic went back to the hotel and packed her bags last night after loosing to Dulco in straight sets. What’s going on with the women … it’s only the third round and already the 2nd, 3rd and 7th seeds are gone.
2:15 PM
Okay, I’ve stalled around long enough; it’s time to go do some photos. I’m going to the Kiefer/ Federer match because it’s on Stadium and easy to get back inside if it starts raining. For sure weather is going to dictate what matches I shoot today. I need to shoot a zillion photos of Federer to get anything usable anyway. He is probably the hardest pro to get anything good on. Deep set eyes with shadows that go completely black with the sun overhead, giving the impression that he either had a rough night or got into a fight with Safin and ended up needing a steak for the black eyes. Given his conservative nature, I doubt if either of these are true. And have you noticed how he looks down all the time... this only makes matters worse. I want to should, “hey Roger! Look up! Give us a photo!” but of course I can’t so I just keep shooting and trying different angles hoping to get lucky.
4PM
Kiefer is another member of the clean legs gang, and I’m noticing a little belly growing on Roger. Is this a sympathy stomach for Mirka has he been sharing her food cravings?
5:30 PM
I finally got myself over to the grandstand court and was rewarded with a great match. Safin and Monfils, two guys who give good photos. If there are any female Marat fans out there check out this photo… definitely a pinup. I love the way he walks with a little swagger from side to side, arms held slightly away from his body, the whole attitude saying “I am Elite Russia Athlete”. Too bad he is planning to retire at the end of the year; He’s brought a lot of fun and color to the game. I would have liked to see him go further in the tournament, but you’ve gotta love Gael Monfils. No only is he colorful and fun, but the tennis can be amazing. Safin was serving for the match at 5-2, but Monfils never gave up and ended up winning in a tiebreaker. Great stuff.
Next up is Jo-Wilfred Tsonga, another guy I love to shoot, against Robert Kendrick; a young American who has just broke into the top 100. Kendrick has a good first set, but is no match for the French Muhammad Ali look alike.
10:55 PM
HOW IN THE WORLD DID IT GET TO BE TEN FIFTY FIVE PM? I have no idea where the day went, and I promise I have been working steadily, no socializing not even one glass of wine at the happy hour. I’m thinking that I really want to blow out of here, but Blake just lost the first set to Berdych, and I’m wondering if I need to stay.

11:05 PM
Blake is up 2-1 in the second, I'm just going to hope he wins and pack it in for the night.
Tune in tomorrow for more adventures with Cynthia from the Sony Ericsson.
Posted by Cynthia Lum at 7:58 PM 0 comments

No comments: