Saturday, July 5, 2008

Last Night and Today

Last Night

Okay, I am going to talk about the sisters, but first, I want to give you a little report on my activities of last night. I had the best time!! Went to the fireworks at Southbank, had drinks and a bite to eat at Young’s, and then went to the Midnight production of The Merry Wives of Windsor at Shakespeare’s Globe. Whether or not you like Shakespeare; this is something you should not miss if you are in London. This late night show draws an interesting, fun crowd.
Costumed musicians entertain with Elizabethan music as you enter the theatre. I could picture how it must have been in 1599, when the plays were first performed. The stage juts out into the audience, giving an air of familiarity and intimacy to the work. The theatre goer becomes an important part of the performance, reacting, applauding, and responding to the actors. This couldn’t have been a more English and uniuqe experience.
I was tempted to hit one of the clubs after the play, but thought better of it, because, (a) I didn’t want to be comatose today, and (b) I knew that getting back to Southfields where I’m staying was going take a long time. The underground stops running at about midnight, so I had to take the N (night) bus back to the house I’m renting. From Southbank, I caught a bus to Piccadilly, then walked to Trafalgar Square where the N buses stop. The square is buzzing at this late hour with hundreds of people who have been out at bars, restaurants, and clubs, waiting for busses that stop here for all points in London. It’s very confusing because there are a lot of corners and busses here and you have to find the place where your bus stops. The signage is not good, and people tell you lots of different places where you should be standing to catch your bus. I’ve done this many times in the past so I sort of remembered where to go, and as luck would have it, I got it right. The N57 came in about 20 minutes and I boarded to the 45 minute ride to Southfields. The bus is populated with people who have had a lot to drink, some sleeping, some rowdy, and a couple across the isle from me who should have gotten a hotel room. I’m seriously tired, but don’t’ want to fall asleep and miss my stop, so I stay awake and amuse myself talking to the guy next to me. He’s young, probably around 22. He and his pals came from Scotland to see Andy Murray. They were all out at a club, and somehow got separated so he decided to go back to Wimbledon on his own. His accent is so thick I can hardly understand him, but he’s had enough to drink so I doubt if my answers really matter anyway. I finally make it back to my house around 3:30 AM, and am SO happy to see my bed! The Women’s Final Well, everyone was right about Venus, and I want to tell you that the photographers in the pit were glad to see her holding the gold trophy after only two sets. The match, frankly was nothing special. Shooters was expecting a big match point, hoping for one great photo, but I didn’t think this would be the case as Venus would not want to rub it in to her sister that she had won, and I was right. She smiled, waved and hugged Serena. I think this photo of them hugging is the most interesting photo I got today. Note where Serena’s arm is … she is not hugging back.
Revealing? No comment.

No comments: