Friday, July 4, 2008


Happy Fourth of July!! The worst part of this job is being away from home on holidays. I’m in Paris for Memorial Day, New York for Labor Day, and Miami for my birthday. Now many of you may say, “so what’s so bad about that?” Well, things could definitely be worse, and I’ve learned to make the best of it. I’m planning a big evening here in London, celebrating my Independence from the Brits.

I’m leaving here at 8PM weather or not the matches are finished, taking the train to Southbank to watch the fireworks display over the river. I did this last year and it was great!! From there I’ll head to the Midnight Matinee at the Globe Theatre. I’m very excited about this! Shakespeare’s Globe is one of my favorite places, and they are doing the Merry Wives of Windsor tonite so it will be fun light entertainment.

The theatre is very cool, it’s a faithful reconstruction of the open-air playhouse designed in 1599 where the original works of Shakespeare were performed. Built in 1997, it is approximately 225 yards from the original Globe Theatre. The building is circular in shape, with the stage along one wall, and a large circular yard area where you can buy standing room tickets for 5 GBP. This is surrounded by three tiers of steeply banked seating where the tickets go for between 15 and 33 pounds. I like to buy the standing room so I can mill around and see the show from different perspectives. You can also get right next to the stage if you are in the yard. It’s very casual and people are friendly.

Then, if I’m still standing I’ll hit one of the nearby clubs where you can dance until 5. I may be a bit slow tomorrow, but hey... it’s the Fourth of July! I’ll share photos and tales tomorrow.

As for tennis, we have the sisters in the final tomorrow, and surprise surprise, Roger and Rafa on Sunday. Venus has already won in the fashion department. She definitely had the best dress in the tournament, after saying that she didn’t care what she wore, she was just concentrating on the yellow ball. Serena is another story. This is a girl who should not be wearing ruffled tail feathers.

Most of the press I’m talking to is thinking that Venus will be holding the golden trophy at the end of the match. The last time they met in a major final was at Wimbledon five years ago. Serena won, but Venus was injured, and unfit, so it really wasn’t a good test. Whoever wins the photographers are sure there will be good photos, and truth is… that’s all we really care about. Both sisters are very good at giving big match points and huge celebrations after winning, so tomorrow should be a good day.

No comments: