Monday, September 1, 2008

A Walk In Central Park

I love Central Park! A morning stroll along the shaded walkways is my perfect way to start the day. The city may be hot and crowded, but the park is always a cool refuge. One hundred year old trees form a shaded canopy, sun shining through their leaves making beautiful, ever changing patterns on paths, and lawns. It’s a place for daydreaming, or play, artists or athletes, strolling or running, listening to the jazz or the song of a bird. There is something for everyone here.


As I walk along, stopping to watch artists sketch portraits, I hear strains of music, following the sounds, I find a jazz trio playing to a small audience, I stop to listen, and drop a couple of dollars into their guitar case.. I believe in supporting struggling musicians, and walk on… next I hear the strains of Jazz trumpter, Miles Davis composition, All Blue.. I love this tune and follow the melody to a trumpet and bass duo, I take a seat on one of the green benches and listen to this classic jazz, thinking.. life is good. I’m reluctant to leave, but I know I have to get to the site eventually, so I make a contribution, and walk on.

I’ve visited beautiful parks around the world, but there is something special about this one. It was the first public park built in America. The competition for the design was held in 1858, and it took 15 years to build, but it has become a manmade wonder.


I’ve visited beautiful parks around the world, but there is something special about this one. It was the first public park built in America. The competition for the design was held in 1858, and it took 15 years to build, but it has become a manmade wonder.

There fountains, and sculptures, bridges and lakes, children sail toy boats on the lake while grown up children in row boats, and swans drift magically through the glassy water. Walking back to the hotel, I can't resist stopping to browse at the used book stall on Central Park West. Being a bookaholic, I find at least six titles I'd like to have, but remember in time that my luggage weighed in at a little over 46 pounds and I have a 50 pound limit, so Idecide it's not worth paying overweight for used books.


I can't delay any longer, I'm finally off to the site. It's another killer hot day so I'm shooting from the Promenade. Can't take the broiling sun in the photo pit. The photographers used to have seats on both sides of Arthur Ashe Stadium, but a few years ago, the USTA decided to make the shaded side into court side seats that they could sell for big bucks, to the photographers have to shoot facing the sun all day. Let's face it, the greenback rules here.


Nadal wins in four, but it's no walk in the park. Young American, Sam Querrey, has nothing to loose, and is playing all out, he takes the second set, and Rafa has to bear down to win. That is really the big difference between the top guys and everyone else. They have a reserve that they can tap into when needed.


Time for a short lunch break, I go for the salad bar in the Press dining room simply because it's fast. You can serve yourself, while there is a line for everything else. I'm always a bit skeptical of salad bars, since I got really ill from one in Miami, but I need food, so i hope for the best and take my plate back to my desk so I can edit while I eat. There is no such thing as a leisurely lunch at the US Open.


Thank you, Thank you, Serena Williams and Andy Murray! Serena finished in two quick sets, 6-2, 6-2, and Andy in three, 6-1, 6-3, 6-3, so we are out of here at a decent hour for the first time in 8 days.


No comments: