Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Monday, August 25, 2008

Party's, Celebtation, Late Night Matches, Welcome to the US Open

The Pre Open Weekend.

The Player Party

The rooftop of the Empire Hotel, glittering lights of NYC below. A sea of blonds, thigh high skirts, pouty glossed lips, Mojito’s, and Heinekin flowing freely, tennis star’s from around the world, this was the setting for the USTA Heinekin Player Party Friday night.

Sorry I couldn’t grab some photos, but I’m a strong believer in not harassing players at during their down time. This is one of the reasons I get invited to these parties where no other photographers are allowed. However, nothing is stopping me from sharing a bit of the evening with you. And I do have one photo … Cynthia on the Red Carpet! Check it out!

James Blake, gorgeous as ever, and the Bryan Bros, also looking good, were among the first arrivals. Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco were all smiles spending the evening surrounded by giggling girls. Is it right for any two guys to be that good looking? I’m for sure going to think about moving to Spain. Then there was the Italian contingent... including the handsome Fabio Fognini. Amer Delic, flashing that oh so charming smile. Donald Young caught exchanging phone numbers with one of the tall blonds… hmm have to keep my eye on him… will let you know if she shows up in the player box for his match tonight.

Saturday morning was able to get up at a decent hour even though I arrived back at the apartment in the small hours of the morning. Walked 5 of the 6.9 miles on Park Avenue while it was closed to traffic from 7AM to 1PM. Very cool, thousands of people walking, running, riding bicycles, skating, and enjoying the day.

Sunday, my last day of freedom before play starts tomorrow. Started the day at the street fair on 3rd. Walked ALL THE WAY downtown to Soho. Checked out the shops and street vendors. Bought an Obama shirt that I love, from an artist who designs and silk-screens the shirts himself…B&W photos of Obama above the NY skyline … “make art not war”. I’m wearing it at this very moment.

So here we are... Monday. I’m going to go shoot some Rafa, and let you know what’s going down on opening day at the Open.

Well, no big surprises .. Rafa did struggle a bit, winning 7-6, 6-3, 7-6 over a qualifier, but I’m sure he’s still a little jet lagged having just arrived in NY after winning the gold in Beijing. I never really thought he was in jeopardy of loosing the match.

Maria Kirilenko seeded 22 was the first seed to leave, loosing to an unseeded Austrian who I’ve never heard of.

The Opening Ceremony tonight featured forty yes... forty past champions, and although it was nice to see them all together, the introductions and the high fiving took forever.

James and Donald Young are still playing.. I left after James won the first set 6-1, but they are now in the fourth with Donald Young leading 3-2.. This is not making me happy. Its 11:30, it’s freezing cold in the media workroom, and I wanna get out of here, but looks like I should stay awhile longer. James is up 2 sets to 1, but if Young takes the fourth I will really have to stay for the fifth.

Twelve midnight .. Young has just taken the 4th set .. looks like it’s going to be a late night, I’m drinking horrible strong coffee to try to warm up, and stay awake. Welcome to the US Open. Whatever made me think I might get out of here at a reasonable hour?

Okay, it’s 12:45 AM .. Blake finally won in five, I’m going to post this blog and get outta here!

No comments: