Friday, May 30, 2008

American's in Paris

Wow, I am seriously tired today. Arrived tired from the flight and have not been able to catch up. If you read my Farewell Guga blog, you will know that it was a late nite. Would not have minded a little rain this morning, but of course it never rains when you'd like it to, when you need to catch up on sleep. Oh well, tennis goes on and I need to get it together. Fresh Orange juice, a bowl of cereal with milk, and an espresso, in other words, sugar, carb, protien, caffine, and I'm somewhat human.

First match I want to hit is Blake, Gulbis. All the Americans here were pretty excited when seventh seeded James defeated Germany's Rainer Schuettler in the first round making him the first American man to reach the second round at Roland Garros since 2006! My word, what is going on here? Maybe American Moms need to let their children play in the dirt more often. It’s not like it’s impossible for US players to win here. Anyone remember Jim Courier, Andre Agasi, Michael Chang? Are players taking what journalists are saying about American’s not being able to play on clay too mush to heart? Perhaps we should stop letting them read newspapers. Okay, okay, no smart remarks now about weather or not they even read. Nineteen year old up and comer, Ernests Gulbis ranked 80th in the world seems like a good second round draw for Blake. Everyone was hoping that this would be a chance for the American's to break the second week draught, but it was not to be. For Blake the party was over in four sets. In his post match press conference, a disappointed Blake said, “I think in any close match there are going to be opportunities going both ways,” Blake said. “He took advantage of his. I didn't take advantage of mine. The match was just poor, not within my game.

So, that's the bad news, the good news is Ginepri scored a great win over over 29th seed, Igor Andreev.

Playing two day's in a row because of rain delay, Ginepri dropped the first set, but fought hard, and took the second two. He's playing with a terrible looking taped up right arm, but it doesn't seem to be affecting his play, or his “hot” factor. The stands are always filled with young lip glossed beauties squealing “Robby, Robby!” in high pitched voices.

He’ll meet Florent Serra in the next round. How great would it be for him to make it past the third round? That would for sure be something to write home about.

Don’t know where the time goes, but I catching the 10:30 van back to my Place at the Top. As tired as I am I need nourishment badly. I love the neighborhood I’m living in here. Even at 11 PM you can go out and find something to eat . The streets are still crowded and the café’s full. People here still practice the art of communication, of exchanging ideas. I wish I could understand French so I’d know what they talk about, the conversation seems lively, with lots of hand and arm waving. I often wonder if you taped their hands together if they could talk at all. To me this seems a lot more interesting and enlightening than sitting at home in front of the TV.

My friend Xinyi has also left the site late, so we amble along the narrow streets trying to decide where to stop. There are many tempting choices. We settle on a pleasant sidewalk café and share three cheese fondue, Greek salad, and small bottle of red wine. Perfect.

Last stop of the day is my favorite street side Crepe place. The man making crepes remembers me from last year and greets me with a friendly, “ Allo! You are the journalist from America! I remember you!”. I smile back delighted and reply, “un crêpe nutella un crêpe s'il vous plaît in my very best French.


No comments: